Hukarere Girls’ College has two governing entities; the Te Aute Trust Board and the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees is responsible for the educational functions of the college. The Te Aute Trust Board represents the Anglican Church and is the proprietor of the school buildings, and responsible for the operation of the hostel. The daily operations of the hostel is managed by a sub-committee made up of school board members and staff.
Hukarere School Board of Governance
The Te Aute Trust Board was formally established in 1862 by a resolution passed by George Augustus Selwyn, the Bishop of New Zealand, in accordance with the powers conveyed to him under the provisions of The Bishop of New Zealand Trusts Act 1958.
The resolution passed placed into trust lands previously transferred to the Anglican Church by way of grants from local Iwi and the Crown to create a perpetual endowment for the establishment and maintenance of schools at Te Aute and in the district of Ahuriri for the education of children.
The establishment of the Trust actually postdates the opening of Te Aute College which first started operation in 1854. The opening of Te Aute College was followed by the opening of Hukarere Girls’ College in 1875.
These schools continue to operate today, Te Aute on its original site at Pukehou, and Hukarere transferring from Napier to its present site in the Eskdale Valley in 2004.
The schools are both Integrated with a Maori- Anglican special character. The Te Aute Trust Board is the Proprietor with respect to both schools and operators of the Boarding facilities with are integral to the successful operation of each school.
The Te Aute Trust Board is assisted in its role and has welcomed and benefited from the attendance of Honorary Mana Whenua Advisors, representatives of local Iwi, at its meetings.
The Trust Board maintains relationships with the Boards of Trustees of Hukarere and Te Aute, these boards being responsible for educational achievement at each of the kura.